HISTORY OF MISAMIS ORIENTAL PROVINCIAL POLICE OFFICE
Misamis Oriental was derived from the word “MISA”, a Spanish term for mass or a church rite. When Christianity was still new in the Philippines, the converts were usually heard to shout MISA! MISA! Every time the priest travelled in the area thus, over a period of time, the Spanish missionaries called the province “MISAMIS”.
Misamis used to be part of the province of Cebu. In 1818, it became a corregimiento comprised of four (4) partidos or divisions: Partido de Misamis, Partido the Cagayan, and Partido the Catarman. In the latter part of the 19th century, Misamis was one of the six (6) districts of Mindanao. At the close of Spanish era, it was one of the seven (7) districts of Mindanao and Sulu with Cagayan de Misamis (now Cagayan de Oro) as its capital.
Act No. 3354 approved in November 30, 1927 which was amended by act no. 3777 adopted in November 28, 1939 formally divided Misamis into two (2) provinces (Misamis Oriental and Misamis Occidental). When Misamis Oriental became a separate province in 1939, Don Gregorio Pelaez was its first governor. Since then, there were twenty-seven (27) gubernatorial terms of office occupied by governors who were either elected or appointed by operation of law. Hon. Vicente Y. Emano was elected governor during the first local election held on January 18, 1988 after the lifting of martial law in 1974. Last May 1998, Hon. Antonio P Calingin was elected as the governor of Misamis Oreintal.
Misamis Oriental Philippine Constabulary/Integrated National Police Provincial Command was formerly located at Hilltop, Camp Alagar Lapasan Cagayan de Oro City. PHIVIDEC INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, MISAMIS ORIENTAL was established sometime in the early part of 1971 as the economic zone of Misamis Oriental as the security needs of the area arises because of the blooming of industrial plants and some other businesses, PHIVIDIC eventually donated a 5 hectare of lot for the proposed headquarters of PC/INP Provincial Command. On the earlier part of 1988 the MISOR PC/INP transferred its office to its new location which is strategically situated at the donated lot of PHIVIDEC at barangay San Martin, Villanueva Misamis Oreintal under the leadership of Lt. Col Ruben V Cabagnot wherin that time acted as the Provincial Commander. On June 2, 1991 by virtue of R.A 6975 “PNP LAW’ it was rename to Mis Or PNP Provincial Command.
Misamis Oriental Provincial Police Office has twenty-four (24) Municipal Police Stations and two (2) City Police Stations with 1 PPSMC, (14 on eastern side/10 on the western side). The farthest municipality on the western side is Lugait Police Station and in the eastern side is Magsaysay Police Station.
On January 12, 2010, PSSUPT GRACIANO JAYLO MIJARES assumed as Office In-charge in Misamis Oriental Provincial Police Office, wherein he continue the legacy of the past Provincial Directors and so with his new set of staff officers.